Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Multigrain Bread and Yankee Pot Roast

Today was a day off work and I really wanted to make this bread I saw in the March/April issue of Cooks Illustrated. The author stated they were hoping to make a flavorful multigrain bread that is not hard as a rock, but with a soft sandwich bread texture. This fits the bill. This bread reminds me of bakery style multigrain bread. It takes a little planning because the multigrain cereal needs to soak for 1 hour before you start mixing the dough. There is a 20 minute rest period after it is mixed before you knead the dough. The recipe makes 2 loaves.

For dinner tonight we had a Traditional Yankee Pot Roast from August 2002 issue of Cooking Light. This was good. Not WOW, but good. The meat was very tender and had good flavor. There seemed to be a lot of cooking liquid by the time the dish was finished, much more than I started with. I cooked this in my LeCreuset and maybe it formed more condensation. The 2 cups of chopped onions contributed much to the finished flavor of the dish. Very similar to the method I have always used to make pot roast. I usually add a sprig or two of rosemary or thyme, but I followed this recipe exactly.

That is all for tonight. I am thinking of changing up the menu for tomorrow to cook something I saw on FoodTV tonight. Until then.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home