Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Crabby Crabcakes!

Dinner tonight was once again from Bittman's The Minimalist Cooks Dinner. Crabby Crabcakes (I love that name!) did not make me feel the least bit crabby! True to Bittman's style in this book, these were not fussy with very few ingredients. In the description of the recipe Bittman states "Getting the most out of crabcakes often means putting the least into them. When you start loading them up with white bread, corn, curry, and complicated sauces, you might be making them different, but you're not making them better."

These were among some of the best crabcakes I have ever had, at home or in a restaurant. I used can crab that I purchased on my trip to White Feather Farms a few days ago. The flavor of the crabmeat really came through and the cakes were delicate and flaky. If you like crabcakes (like my boss Tobey) you will like these. I highly recommend you giving these a try.

I served these with a homemade tartar sauce (mayonnaise, chopped shallots, pickle relish) with a simple salad and bread. A very relaxed and unfussy meal, but very satisfying and flavorful.

Be sure to check Sweetnicks for the ARF Tuesday round-up. Until tomorrow, enjoy the recipe.



3 Comments:

  • At 1/25/2006 12:53:00 AM, Blogger Cyndi said…

    Now THAT's the kind of crabcakes I like. I don't get to make them here, though, since DH is allergic to shellfish. Bummer. But the mushroom soup looks like something I can do. I even have the dried mushrooms.

     
  • At 1/25/2006 06:59:00 PM, Blogger Felicia said…

    These look delish and I have been looking for a crab recipe. I think I will have to check out "The Minimalist Cooks Dinner" cookbook. Several of the recipes you've posted from his book appeal to me.

     
  • At 1/25/2006 11:20:00 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    Cyndi, do try these for yourself if you get a chance, they are the best.

    sorceress, thanks for stopping by. So far this book has been well worth it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home