Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sunday Dinner

You may remember that leftovers were planned for last night. Well, I got home from work and DH was fixing dinner! Some steaks and salad. It is always nice to come home after my long Saturday and find him cooking dinner. Thank-you dear!

The cookbook I have chosen to utilize this week is The Minimalist Cooks Dinner by Mark Bittman. I really like this book so far. The entrees are not too fussy and he makes suggestions for sides and wine to serve with the entree. I have planned the entire week from this book!
On to tonight's dinner. Bittman has a bread recipe in his book he calls 60-Minute Bread. I decided to give it a whirl. It is not bad. Not fantastic, but just as good as a grocery store bakery bread and very easy to make.
For the entree we had Pork Cutlet with Hoisin-Red Wine Sauce. The recipe in the book is for Miso-Red Wine Sauce and calls for red miso. I could not find any miso at the store and I already had some hoisin on hand, so the rest is history. The sauce was very smooth and had bold flavor. The chops were well received by all.
For the sides we had a simple salad of romaine and arugula with a soy viniagrette, and a Bittman's suggested side of Rice Salad with Peas and Soy. This was very good with a lot of different flavors going on that went well together. What is interesting is the use of Arborio rice for something other than risotto. This will also be a great salad for a summer picnic (or a houseboat trip). The recipe calls for fresh cilantro which I am not overly fond of so I used parsley since I have a lot of that on hand.
All in all, this was a nice Sunday dinner. Not too fussy and all were easy to put together. On tap for tomorrow is a mushroom soup. I have yet to find a good mushroom soup recipe so we will see how this one goes.

Zac redesigned the banner at the top of the page here. I don't know where he learns all this stuff, but I did not have a clue how to change the banner so there would be pictures there. Let me know what you think. Until tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home