Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Sunday Dinner

What a sad day in Indiana since the Colts lost today. Everyone was hoping they would be in the Super Bowl this year. DH is a Bears fan so he still has hope that one of his teams will make it.

Dinner tonight was our first entree from this week's featured cookbook The Foster's Market Cookbook by Sara Foster. I love a roasted chicken so that seemed like the place to begin and Balsamic-Roasted Chicken lives up to the author's promises. Moist and extremely flavorful, DH proclaimed this chicken wonderful. This was easy to prepare and made the house smell magnificent while it was roasting.

On the side we had some mixed vegetables (Green Giant Tuscan Blend) and Mac and Cheese. I used a recipe from the Food Network as a guide and then went from there. Using some of the smoked gouda I picked up yesterday, this was rich and flavorful. DH has been asking for some mac and cheese for awhile so I thought to include it today. This is definatly not a light version but oh so good. I did use the Barilla Plus macaroni so that helped a little. And I made a bechamel sauce for the first time, YEAH!

I made a light dessert from the book also. Peach Cobbler. I lightened it by subbing Splenda for the sugar and using white whole wheat flour in the crust. This was good, not overly sweet and I think the white whole wheat flour gave it a somewhat nutty flavor. This is one I will repeat in this summer when peaches are in season.

24 returns tonight and I cannot wait to see what is in store for Jack Bauer this season. Until tomorrow.

Recipes

2 Comments:

  • At 1/16/2006 04:43:00 PM, Blogger Cyndi said…

    Oh my, smoked gouda in mac and cheese. My mouth is watering. Now it's on my grocery list! The chicken looks wonderful, too!

     
  • At 1/16/2006 07:43:00 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    DH really praised that chicken. I think the method of roasting it breast side down for the first 30 minutes really helped with the moistness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home