Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

A Day in the Kitchen

Zac stayed home from school again today. He is beginning to feel better this evening so it is back to school tomorrow. His English class is taking a field trip to the library and he does not want to miss that.

Since I was home I played in the kitchen. I made Italian Batter Bread and some muffins of my own creation. Alysha at The Savory Notebook is having a Virtual Recipe Swap and this month's theme is grab and go healthy breakfast foods. The latest issue of Cooking Light did a story on the health benefits of peanut butter which inspired this idea. Plus, I like peanut butter and banana!

Italian Batter Bread

Peanut Butter and Banana Nut Muffins

Dinner tonight was again from The Minimalist Cooks Dinner. This one made up for the so-so dinner from last night. Spanish-Style Shrimp. This was quick, easy, and very good. The flavor of the shrimp is not masked by a heavy sauce, just the right amount of liquid to sop up with bread. I served this with a salad and the bread I made today of course! This is simple yet tasty fare. I really like this cookbook!

Spanish-Style Shrimp
adapted from The Minimalist Cooks Dinner by Mark Bittman

The Italian Batter Bread comes from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads. I picked this book up at the library this week and I think I will need to copy many of the recipes. Mr Clayton apparently lives here in Indiana in Bloomington which is DH's home town. Maybe I can look him up some day!

Italian Batter Bread Texture

that's all for tonight folks. Check in tomorrow to see what's cookin'

3 Comments:

  • At 1/27/2006 08:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, it's Sarah again.
    I know it may sound a little strange, but next time you make the muffins try putting in some granola for texture and some small banana chunks, yum-o.

     
  • At 1/27/2006 03:15:00 PM, Blogger Erika W. said…

    Yum! That shrimp looks and sounds fantastic! I love shrimp dishes that bring out the shrimp, rather than hiding them. I may have to get this cookbook after all. I've been so hesitant. Thanks for reviewing it!

     
  • At 1/27/2006 08:17:00 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    Thanks for the idea Sarah. How was the ceremony today?
    Erika, I am very pleased with this book. I checked it out of the library before I purchased it at the local used bookstore. I may have to go to the library and check out "The Minimalist Cooks at Home."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home