Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Kid Friendly and Easy

Fortunately we did not get all the snow predicted...yet. We got about 2 inches but another 2 could fall overnight. Here in central Indiana the winter has been pretty mild so far. I noticed yesterday that I have many of my herbs coming up in the herb garden. I hope this recent snow and cold snap doesn't do them in.

Sloppy Joes from Cooking Light magazine were for dinner tonight and a snap to prepare. Brown up some ground sirloin with onions and bell pepper, add your seasonings and tomato sauce and simmer for 15 minutes. Being able to get dinner on the table quickly is great on the days I work late. I served this on homemade burger buns (that I made yesterday while I was home) and with a tossed salad on the side. Filling and satisfying.

Moomie's Beautiful Burger Buns comes from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. This particular recipe has made the rounds on the internet as well. The recipe first appeared on the King Arthur Flour message circle where it was posted by Ellen Dill. It quickly gained in popularity. These are very easy to make by hand, with a stand mixer, or in a bread machine. The original recipe uses all-purpose flour which I changed to my favorite White Whole Wheat Flour.

That's it for tonight. Tomorrow I will be planning for the next week. I have not chosen a source for the recipes next week, so I will be perusing the cookbooks tonight. Be sure to check all the kitties for Weekend Cat Blogging at Eat Stuff, the pups tomorrow for Weekend Dog Blogging at Something So Clever. Sweetnicks is on vacation to someplace warm and sunny so Alicat will be hosting this weekend. And check out Weekend Herb Blogging at Kalyn's Kitchen. Until tomorrow.

3 Comments:

  • At 2/05/2006 12:45:00 AM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    It's hard to picture snow here; we're in the middle of a major drought!
    I made the coconut chicken curry this past week-from Mark Bittman. I made a few changes, but it was a winner! Thanks for pointing me to it.

     
  • At 2/05/2006 12:01:00 PM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said…

    Hey, thanks for mentioning Weekend Herb Blogging. We're having a bit of snow here in Utah too. I love your idea of using a cookbook for a week. I'll check back to see what is coming next week.

     
  • At 2/06/2006 07:29:00 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    jjsooner, glad you liked the curry,
    kalyn, I hope to participate in WHB soon. I love growing herbs and using them!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home