Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Grillin'

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in central Indiana so we decided it was time to break in the grill for this season. I really enjoy cooking on the grill for many different reasons. First of all, it tastes good! I enjoy sitting outside minding the grill and listening to the sounds of warm weather. Last evening I enjoyed the sounds of motorcycles, kids playing, birds singing, and even the sound of the Ice Cream Truck!

Now on to the food. We had a pork tenderloin recipe that is a favorite of ours. Island Pork Tenderloin is from an issue of Cuisine at Home Magazine. The original recipe is for broiling the pork and has a grill option. I have never broiled this since we love the grilled version so much. You make a spicy dry rub for the tenderloins and a Mojo basting sauce. Place the tenderloins on the hot grill and baste as they cook. Pork tenderloin grills up quick and flavorful.
On the side we had a dish that I adapted from the International Cooking show I went to last week. Caribbean Peas 'N Rice is simple to prepare and the flavors complimented the pork tenderloin deliciously. I used brown basmatti rice and canned pigeon peas. You begin by cooking a small amount of diced bacon, add some onion, garlic, and red bell pepper and saute until softened. Add the water, seaonings, peas, tomato paste, and rice and cook until the liquid is absorbed. I used Hungarian Hot Paprika to give it an extra kick.
I served these up with a tossed salad with a Sweet Dijon Vinaigrette and we called it a meal. This meal was well received by all! Oh, and for dessert, I did my best Sandra Lee imitation and mixed a box of Angel Food Cake mix with a can of crushed pineapple and baked it! Quick and simple anyway! So take that SL, I can do Semi Homemade also! Check out Sweetnicks today for a Sandra Lee send up!

That is all for today folks. Check back in soon to see what's cookin'.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home