Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Recipe Catch-up

I thought it was about time I got caught up talking about the recipes I have made over the last week.

Most of these came from the wonderful folks over at the Cooking Light Bulletin Board. First up we have Pasta Rustica with Chicken Sausage and Three Cheeses. This was an easy weeknight meal to put together and it was very good. Gooey and cheesey and kid friendly. I again used Barilla Plus Pasta. I only wish this stuff came in more shapes! I did read a story in my newspaper today about the growing popularity of whole grain pasta and how the quality has improved in the last few years. Maybe we will be seeing more unusual shapes in the future.

Pasta Rustica with Chicken Sausage and Three Cheeses
adapted from the Cooking Light Bulletin Board

Next we have a stew recipe that has been in my to try list for a long time. West African Chicken Sausage and Groundnut Stew. This is an interesting dish since it contains peanut butter. The peanut butter is the "groundnut" of this stew and it thickens the dish as well as adding an unusual flavor. This was quite good and spicey.

West African Chicken and Groundnut Stew
adapted from the Cooking Light Bulletin Board

While perusing the boards lately, I came across a post by a very prolific cook and baker known as valchemist. She had conducted a taste test of several granola recipes and posted the recipes along with her results and reviews. Down to Earth Granola received high prase from valchemist so I gave it a try. This is a simple and tasty granola with just the right amount of crunch. I have made 2 batches with the addition of some walnuts in the second batch. I love mixing granola with yogurt and it is really much more economical to make your own granola.


Lastly we have a recipe of my own creation. I have recently done an inventory of my deep freeze after reading about Alysha at The Savory Notebook doing one. I knew I had many items in there to use up, among them several packages of pork loin chops. I was looking in the pantry and noticed a can of Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup. DH really likes souped up entrees so I came up with Mustard-Mushroom Chops over Brown and Wild Rice. This would be a nice weeknight meal also with the rice taking the longest to cook. Once I got the rice going, it was easy to put the rest of the meal together.

Mustard-Mushroom Chops over Brown and Wild Rice
from Patti's Kitchen

That's all fo tonight. Be sure to check in later this weekend to see what's cookin. Until then.

3 Comments:

  • At 3/04/2006 09:28:00 AM, Blogger Erika W. said…

    That's a yummy looking round-up for the week! I'm very curious about the groundnut stew...can you actually taste and identify the peanut butter? Or does it blend in? Very interesting.

     
  • At 3/07/2006 05:24:00 AM, Blogger Patti said…

    erika, the peanut butter gives it a very subtle peanut taste, if you don't know it is there, I don't think you would notice.

     
  • At 3/15/2006 11:34:00 PM, Blogger Randi said…

    I thought i saw a recipe for hamburger buns on your site. Am I losing my mind? Can you point me to it if its here. thanks!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home