Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Update for the week, VRC, WDB.

WOW, what a busy and stressful week! I am so glad the Nephology Exam is over. I will not know the results for 4 to 6 weeks. I have taken this test before...and did not pass. That time I walked away knowing I did not pass. I feel better about this time. It is a tough test.

I really did not follow a specific plan this past week. Cooking was sort of hit or miss. Wednesday evening we had a Cooking Light recipe, Border-Style Shrimp.
Border-Style Shrimp
adapted from Cooking Light

This was quite flavorful. I held back on the cumin only using 1 teaspoon while the original recipe called for 2 teaspoons. I should have went with the 2 teaspoons. I served this over brown rice, but there was not quite enough sauce to make the rice more moist.

Thursday evening brought the Cheese Sandwich and Potato Soup. Alysha at The Savory Notebook has a Virtual Recipe Club, and the theme this week is potatoes! I am submitting the soup for the VRC round-up this week. Biscuit Girl is doing the hosting this week over at You Gonna Eat All That?. Be sure to check it out.

Friday evening we had a Martha Stewart recipe I got off the Martha Stewart Living web site.
Pork Chops with Herb Stuffing
adapted from Martha Stewart

This were very good and very simple to prepare. Perfect for a busy weeknight meal. I did make my slits in the chops a little too big and I had to tie them with butchers twine to keep the stuffing in! I will know not to do that the next time! We had these with a simple salad and steamed broccoli with lemon. These were a big hit with the men of the family, including Buster who enjoyed a bone from DH afterward.
Weekend Dog Blogging #22, Buster enjoys a bone!

Buster ALWAYS takes any treat to the ugly carpet in the bedroom to chew it or eat it. I had to sneak up on him to get a photo! Alicat from Something So Clever is hosting WDB this weekend as Sweetnicks is in the hospital! Be sure to stop by her site and wish her well. We miss you Sweetnicks! Take care of yourself and get better soon!

Saturday evening I was wiped out after that test.

For dinner this evening we had a favorite dish from the Cooking Light Bulletin Boards, Oven Beef Stew.

Oven Beef Stew
adapted from the Cooking Light Bulletin Board

This is a hearty and filling stew. You brown the stew beef, add some flour and seasonings, beef stock and red wine(which I omitted this time, just add an equal amount of stock). Bring to a simmer and add the vegetables. Cover and braise in the oven for 2 hours. The end product is a thick, rich stew. Very comforting with the frigid weather we are having here in central Indiana today. Thursday when I left work the car thermometer registered 62 degrees. When I got up this morning it was 6 degrees! Crazy weather for sure!

That is it for tonight. I have not been able to enjoy any of the Olympics this last week so I think I will go watch some for the evening. I still have not made my menu for this week, but I will be cooking from the net this week with recipes I have gleaned from the Internet. Check back in to see what's cookin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home