Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Dinner Tonight - Greek Chicken with Feta and Tomatoes

This has been a lazy day. Since I had the day off work I had planned to get a lot of little things done, instead I just took it easy most of the day and relaxed. Good to do every now and then (although I should have studied for that dang test).

Dinner tonight was another winner from Fresh Everyday. Greek Chicken with Feta and Tomatoes combines all the wonderful flavors common in a Greek Salad. Greek olives, tomatoes, oregano, and feta cheese. You begin by marinating the chicken breasts in a mixture of lemon juice, lemon zest, white wine, salt, pepper, and oregano. The original recipe calls for fresh oregano, but I subbed Penzey's dried. This summer when my oregano is abundant in the herb garden I will definitely make this with fresh. I marinated this in my FoodSaver marinating dish which claims to marinate in just a short time what in a normal dish would take overnight. I think this works well and you can taste the flavors in the food. One of the best things I love my FoodSaver for.

After the marinating, you simply cook the chicken in the skillet until browned, remove, cook up the sauce, and add the chicken back. Add some olives and top with crumbled feta cheese before serving. This is a very good dish and after all the chopping is done it is quick to cook.

On the side we had another dish from Fresh Everyday, Winter Rice Pilaf. This has leek, carrot, long grain and wild rice blend, orange, and quinoa. This was very good and a definite repeater. The original recipe also has golden raisins added at the end. I did not want to push too much on the family at once with the quinoa added, so I skipped the raisins. But next time...And there will be a next time for sure. This had excellent flavor and the quinoa added a bit of nuttiness to the finished dish. We rounded the meal out with a tossed salad.

Tomorrow is a long day at work and I really do not have any dinner plans. I may spring for a Take and Bake pizza, which would please Zac to no end. Check back in to see what's cookin'. Until then.


Recipes
Greek Chicken with Feta and Tomatoes
adapted from Fresh Everyday by Sara Foster

Winter Rice Pilaf
adapted from Fresh Everyday by Sara Foster

6 Comments:

  • At 2/08/2006 09:09:00 PM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said…

    Don't you think the FoodSaver is just the best kitchen tool ever? I use it all the time.

     
  • At 2/08/2006 09:59:00 PM, Blogger Joe said…

    I love the sound of that Pilaf!

     
  • At 2/09/2006 12:41:00 AM, Blogger Cyndi said…

    Okay, it's all YOUR FAULT! I just went to ebay and bought a Foodsaver 825. Now I have to shop for more bags, some canisters, and, of course, all because of you, the marinating dish.

    : )

     
  • At 2/09/2006 01:20:00 PM, Blogger Little Mama said…

    I love the flavors in greek food. This will have to make an appearance on my menu next week. And thanks for the pilaf recipe. I love it and always like to try new recipes.

     
  • At 2/09/2006 06:30:00 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    Kalyn and Cyndi - the FoodSaver is the best. I love the way I can keep salads for days in the large canister. You made a wise purchase Cyndi!

    Joe - the Pilaf was even good today for lunch ;-)

    Punky - I could eat Mediterranean style foood everyday, but everyone else would get tired of it.

     
  • At 2/13/2006 05:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG - that rice pilaf looks fantastic! I think I'll have to make that for dinner tonight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home