Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Monday, February 27, 2006

ARF Tuesday (early)-Edamame

First of all, I want to apologize for the lack of posts over the last week or so. There is just so much going on in my life right now that blogging has gone to the back burner. I foresee not posting everyday for a while, but I will post when I can.

For dinner tonight I went back to the Meatless Monday theme and prepared a very nutritious soup from the March issue of Everyday Food. This is a Martha Stewart publication that I really enjoy. It has some simple yet tasty recipes every month. Edamame Corn Chowder is quick, tasty, and very healthy. For those of you not familiar with edemame, it is young or immature soybeans. It can be purchased shelled or in the pod and in the frozen food section of your supermarket. All that is available here is the "in the pod" version which can be shelled before (as for this recipe) or after cooking. It has a nutty/beany taste and is kind of sweet. Very good, and very good for you also.

This is an under 30 minute dish ( if you can find shelled edamame, otherwise you have about 20 minutes of shelling to do). You begin by browning and crisping some bacon, remove to drain and saute some chopped onion until soft. Add broth, potato, and seasoning, simmer then add corn, edamame, and half-and-half. Simmer until all veggies are tender and you are good to go! Of course, I could eat soup every night and I would not complain!

I will be submitting this dish for Sweetnicks ARF Tuesday feature. Be sure to check it out tomorrow evening.

That is it for tonight. I will be cooking from various magazine sources this week. Check back in to see what's cookin'.

Edemame Corn Chowder
Adapted from Everyday Food, March 2006, page 141

5 Comments:

  • At 2/27/2006 09:37:00 PM, Blogger Cyndi said…

    This looks really good. I have to admit that I'm probably the only person left who's never eaten edamame. I know I have to, I just never have. What do they compare to? I like snow peas and sugar snap peas--are they like those? Are the ones you buy in the frozen foods dept at Trader Joes already shelled? How else can you eat them? I guess I could do some searches and find out!

     
  • At 2/28/2006 10:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have never eaten adamame either.
    The chowder looks wonderful!

     
  • At 3/01/2006 08:46:00 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    Cyndi, I would compare edamame to a nutty bean. You don't eat the pod if you buy them in the shell, they are kind of "hairy." They are firm and a little sweet.

    Thanks for the comment Michele. I will see you again on Saturday. Hope Thursday and Friday go well.

     
  • At 3/01/2006 11:54:00 PM, Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said…

    Sounds like a winner! I've been noticing alot of recipes that include edamame lately. I've never tried them..I am definitely curious, but a little hesitant to actually prepare them myself. Fear of the unknown I suppose.

     
  • At 3/02/2006 12:41:00 AM, Blogger Michele said…

    Sounds delicious! I love Everyday Food.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home