Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Angus update and my birthday dinner

First off, Angus went back to the vet today. He has healed well and there is no further tissue damage. He is staying the night tonight and his wound is being sutured close. This is great news! The vet was afraid he would require skin grafts to close the wound but since he has healed so well it will not be needed.

Yesterday was my birthday and I generally enjoy preparing my own dinner. I have never made coconut shrimp so that was what I decided to tackle. Using a Paula Deen recipe I found it to be a little time consuming but worth it in the end. You dip the peeled and deveined shrimp in some flour, then beaten egg, then a combination of coconut and bread crumbs (I used Panko). Fry them up and serve with an orange marmalade dipping sauce. I wanted a little heat so I mixed some horseraddish in with the orange marmalade which made a very tasty sauce indeed!
We had this with a simple tossed salad.

For dessert I decided against a cake and went with another recipe of Paula's, Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding is so decadent and good! You use Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies instead of Vanilla Wafers and the pudding has cream cheese in it. By far the tastiest banana pudding I have ever had.
Recipes
Coconut Shrimp
Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding

One last thing. I saw this site on the way home today on a sign at a drugstore, so I had to take a photo.
What the heck? Am I missing something here? I wouldn't think this would be a big seller at a drugstore? Do you think I should submit this to Jay Leno?

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home