Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Friday, March 17, 2006

Busy Week

We had a busy week this week and I unfortunately did not try many new recipes. Many tried and trues this week, although I did manage a couple new dishes.

First up we had Peppercorn-Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Soy-Caramel Sauce.This comes from the December 2005 issue of Cooking Light. I really enjoy Pork Tenderloin because it is quick to fix and seems to accept many different flavors. This dish comes together quickly and has a good subtle flavor. I was really surprised that the pepper was not more pronounced. The sauce was just slightly sweet and not overpowering. Click on the recipe title under the photos for the recipes.



Peppercorn-Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Soy-Caramel Sauce
from Cooking Light Magazine, December 2005

To accompany this we had a new side dish recipe from a sample issue of Cook's Country that I received in the mail. Broccoli with Lemon and Pecans.
This was a very easy dish and very tasty. The original recipe used walnuts instead of pecans, but since pecans were what I had available, I used them.






Broccoli with Lemon and Pecans
adapted from Cook's Country, sample issue

Another new recipe tried came from Jamie Oliver's Jamie's Dinners (sorry, no picture this time). Roast Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary Roast Potatoes is a bit time consuming, but I thought it was worth it. You season a nice chicken with salt and pepper in the morning and refrigerate it until ready to roast. Meanwhile, parboil some potatoes with garlic and a whole lemon. You then prick the lemon and stuff it and the garlic inside the chicken along with some fresh thyme. Rub the chicken down with some olive oil and roast. At the half-way point, add the potatoes to the pan along with some bacon on top of the breast meat if desired. Finish roasting and serve with the bacon crumbled on top of the potatoes and the garlic smashed and rubbed on the chicken.

I was planning a traditional St. Patrick's day dinner of Corned Beef and Cabbage with Brown Butter Soda Bread (both have been posted before) and I have even prepared this for dinner. However, Zac has a band competition that he failed to tell us about until the last minute so the dinner will go on hold until tomorrow.

Check back in later this week to see what's cookin'. Until then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home