Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

How does your garden grow part 2

When we came back from vacation the garden had grown so much I was amazed! Unfortunately, the weeds had grown up with it. We have had some fresh lettuce from the garden and the green beans are coming along nicely. I planted a second planting of green beans to keep them coming all summer. I cannot wait for the first juicy garden tomato!
The tomato patch
The peppers and beans

My family had a cookout on the fourth and I decided to take a dish I saw in the July issue of Cooking Light Magazine. Zesty Three Bean and Roasted Corn Salad puts a southwestern spin on the traditional Three Bean Salad. You begin with some fresh corn and green beans which add a satisfying crunch to the salad. Chuck in some onion, bell pepper, black beans and white beans. Toss with a lime vinaigrette and add some chopped tomato and avocado just before serving. I found the salad very tasty. However, my relatives did not wish to be so adventurous once they learned it had avocado in it. Needless to say, I had plenty to bring home for our own enjoyment.

Since I had to work today, I went to bed early last night and did not enjoy any of the local fireworks. From the sound of things, it was like a war zone outside! Chris did take in the local firework display and pronounced them entertaining for this year. This is the first year I have not attended a display somewhere. I cannot believe how much money some people spend on fireworks. One of my co-workers said her brother bought 1 item that cost $65.00 and it lasted about 3 minutes. That is some expensive entertainment!

Check back in next time to see what's cooking.

Recipes



5 Comments:

  • At 7/05/2006 11:33:00 PM, Blogger Joe said…

    Nice to see you posting again! The garden looks great - I don't think we will be able to start one this year... but I can't wait until we can!

     
  • At 7/06/2006 09:42:00 AM, Blogger Randi said…

    I'm supposed to make something for a bbq on saturday night. Robin asked me to make something " different". This might be too different for the ppl here, the avocado might freak them out too. Such a shame, because its so good.

     
  • At 7/09/2006 09:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Patti,

    Those cookies u gave me a resp. for were very good.. also very easy to make..Thanks Amanda Overla

     
  • At 7/14/2006 11:24:00 PM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said…

    Your garden looks great.

     
  • At 7/17/2006 01:51:00 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    Joe, you could always palnt some cool weather produce for the fall.
    Randi, what did you decide to take? I agree, this salad was very good.
    Amanda, glad you liked them.
    Kalyn, thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home