Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Off for Vacation!!

We are leaving for vacation this afternoon. Hopefully, this will put me in a better frame of mind since I will be getting away from all the stress (except for the stress of DH and the DS's). Since we will be on a houseboat together, I cannot get away from them (tee-hee)! Just Joking!

I thought I would leave you with a new bread recipe that I tried last week. Chicky Bread comes from a novel. Diane Mott Davidson writes a series of culinary mysteries with the heroine/sleuth being a caterer in Colorado, Goldy Bear. These are fun light reads that are good for some escapism when needed. I have tried some of the recipes and most are really good. This bread recipe as written in the book is for a bread machine but I successfully adapted it to bake in the oven. I found I was out of molasses the day I made this so I substituted dark corn syrup and that worked well. The bread is just slightly sweet and the texture is soft with a fine crumb. All in all it is a good bread to have around. Let me know if you give it a try.

We return home a week from today and I have 3 more days off work to recuperate after this trip. I will post a rundown of the trip and some photos when we return. No internet access on a houseboat unfortunately!

4 Comments:

  • At 6/11/2006 10:59:00 PM, Blogger Joe said…

    The bread looks great! Have a safe trip!

     
  • At 6/14/2006 12:03:00 AM, Blogger Cyndi said…

    Talk about a unique bread! I can't believe it has chickpeas in it. And I love the Diane Mott Davidson books - I've enjoyed Goldy's escapades. "Talk" to you later - we're leaving on vacation on the 19th. I hope you enjoyed yours!

     
  • At 6/21/2006 12:03:00 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    Thanks for the well wishes. Vacation was great, I hope to post some pics and a rundown later today.

    Cyndi, hope you had a great one also!

     
  • At 6/22/2006 08:14:00 AM, Blogger Randi said…

    I love those books. I'm waiting for the latest one at the library. I've never made any of her recipes, I wonder why?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home