Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Using up the green tomatoes!

I have been busy since I started my days off with studying (again!) to recertify in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS). I am happy to report that I recertified this morning and I don't have to worry about that again for 2 years! Whew! Now to enjoy my time off.

We did manage to close up the garden for this year. The boys got all the plants pulled and I harvested the last of the peppers and many green tomatoes. Now DH and I both like fried green tomatoes, but not all the time. DH told me that one of his co-workers brought in a Green Tomato Cake. He said it was very moist and delicious. So I went on a search for a recipe. I found one that used chocolate which DH nixed ("It did not have any chocolate in it"). I found several that had spices, raisins and nuts which he said were in the one he tasted. I finally settled on a recipe I found at allrecipes.com that sounded easy and received good reviews.


You begin by salting your chopped green tomatoes and letting them set for a few minutes. Cream the butter and sugar, sift the dry ingredients, add the nuts and raisins to the dry then mix together with the wet ingredients. Rinse and drain the tomatoes then add them to the batter. Bake, cool, and serve with a dusting of confectioners sugar. Pretty simple and straightforward. This cake is spicey (cinnamon and nutmeg) and very moist. It does not need any frosting. Frosting would mask the wonderful flavor of the cake. DH stated it was even better than the one he had already tried and was very pleased. Zac liked it as well, however Chris would not try it because he hates tomatoes (OK, more for us!).

I still have a lot of green tomatoes left so I think I will make another one to take into work tomorrow. I have another 3 days off after tomorrow so who knows what I might come up with to use up some more of these tomatoes! Any suggestions?


1 Comments:

  • At 10/08/2006 05:08:00 PM, Blogger Cyndi said…

    I've had fried green tomatoes, and really liked them (to me, they taste a bit like fried okra), but never thought about using them in a cake! I guess it's not as odd as I first thought, since we use zucchini in cakes/breads all the time. Interesting! It looks really good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home