Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

ARF Tuesday, Chocolate in Chili?

*sniff*

*sniff*

What is that tantalizing aroma?

Oh, it is the marinara I have simmering away in the crock pot.

I decided to push the pumpkin butter back a day and make some marinara. I have not made any for a while and it is so much better than jarred marinara sauce. When I do resort to the jarred stuff, Zac who is a pasta sauce junkie will ask "Mom, what is wrong with this sauce? It doesn't taste as good." I will use some for the lasagna we are having for dinner and freeze the rest.

I know you are asking yourself "What is the recipe for this wonderful marinara?" Well friends you can find it over at The Savory Notebook. Alysha became world famous on the Cooking Light Bulletin Board with her marinara and thus Cooking Light took noticed and published her recipe. I think the secret is the carmelizing of the onions (and the red wine). This sauce is so thick and rich, it reminds me of the sauce that was served in a little Italian joint in the town I grew up in. So good!

And speaking of Alysha. She made a posted about a Cooking Light recipe the other day that caught my eye, Black Bean and Chorizo Chili. (you can read her post here) I recently came across some Spanish Chorizo at the supermarket so I snatched a package up and stowed it in the freezer (usually all I ever see around here is Mexican Chorizo which is a totally different sausage). This chili is loaded with black beans, tomatoes, corn, peppers, a small amount of cinnamon, and just a touch of good for you chocolate (yes I said chocolate). The chocolate really gave it beautiful color and depth with just a hint of sweetness. Cinnamon is traditionally in Cincinnati-style Chili, and since we do not care for that, I was worried that the family would not like this. No worries! The boys loved it and DH wanted to take it in his lunch today. Unfortunately, after a midnite raid by Chris, there was only about 1/2 cup left!
Since beans and chocolate are so good for you, this is perfect for Sweetnicks ARF Tuesday event. Hosted each Tuesday by Sweetnicks, the focus is on foods that are good and good for you. Be sure to check it out, there are some great dishes submitted by some talented and dedicated food lovers out there!

Until next time...

2 Comments:

  • At 9/06/2006 09:01:00 AM, Blogger Alysha said…

    Thanks for the marinara comments, Patti. I made some the other day and have gone through almost all of it already. Maybe I'll have to start making double batches!

    I managed to snatch some of the chili away to put in the freezer for another meal. :)

     
  • At 9/06/2006 02:46:00 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    Your welcome Alysha!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home