Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Monday, September 18, 2006

What to do with 4 pounds of plums? Plum Tart!

I went to the Farmer's Market Saturday in search of some seasonal goodies. I found some Candy Onions (If you have never had these, they are great. Sweeter than a Vidalia), some fresh garlic, honey, and Italian Plums. These were grown right here in Delaware County Indiana. I had never seen or tasted an Italian Plum before so the vender let me taste one. WOW. These are awesome! Very juicy and sweet. A carton was $3.00 so I picked one up. When I got them home, I weighed them to discover I had almost 4 pounds of plums. I kept envisioning a plum tart so I went to The Food Network website in search of a recipe. I found one by Ina Garten that sounded relatively easy and did not require a ton of ingredients.

Being an Ina Garten recipe, it is not light with 1 1/2 sticks of butter in the crust/topping. The only sugar in the recipe is in the crust however. The plums themselves are on their own with no additional ingredients needed for the filling. The flavor of the plums shine in this recipe. This is one that will be repeated next time I get my hands on some of those Italian Plums!

My garden is about done for the year. I canned 7 quarts of tomatoes on Friday and had enough left over to make a pot of chili. The weather is taking a cooling turn here in central Indiana which is fine by me. Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the cool crisp days and the turning of the leaves. I will miss summer, but I guess I am ready for the change of seasons.

Recipes

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home