Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I have a few reviews of some of the products I purchased at Aldi last week.

First up is Grandessa Chicken Sausage, Sweet Apple and Smoked Gouda flavor. These were quite tasty and quick to cook up for a quick meal. I found the quality of these to compare with some of the chicken sausages I have purchased at Trader Joe's.

Next is their Friendly Farms Sharp Cheddar shredded cheese in the 3 cup package. I made some stove top mac and cheese and it melted well and had good flavor. At $1.99 for 3 cups it can hardly be beat.

Frozen Salmon filets were just as good as what I have purchased at Trader Joe's or Costco. This was $3.99 for a package with 4 filets that totaled 1 pound.

Various cold cereals. Their generic version of Honey Bunches of Oats was even better than the original! All were well liked by the boys in the household!

That is it so far. More reviews to come later.

Dinner tonight was a recipe from the Oct/Nov issue of Eating Well Magazine. Every issue there is a feature on re-doing a favorite meal of a select family to make it healthier. In this issue it was Sweet and Sour Chicken. This was quick to fix and well received by all in the family. Randy said while it is not quite like restaurant versions, it had great flavor and was good (Randy was a cook in a Chinese restaurant when he was a teen so he knows Chinese food). I used regular brown rice but you could easily use the instant kind if desired.

4 Comments:

  • At 11/09/2006 12:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmm the Sweet and Sour Chicken looks good. I used to get Eating Well a while ago but stopped for some reason. Perhaps it is time to give it a try again...

     
  • At 11/09/2006 01:07:00 AM, Blogger HEATHER said…

    Hi,
    I noticed your comments about Aldi.
    I had to comment, have you tried their Chex style party mix? It is even better than the brand name. I didn't know that Aldi's was a division of Trader Joes. Cool!

     
  • At 11/10/2006 04:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aldi and Trader Joe's are not affiliated. Aldi is part of a German owned grocery chain - I believe that their US headquarters is in Cinncinnati? Trader Joe's is out of California

     
  • At 11/11/2006 09:08:00 AM, Blogger Patti said…

    Just to put the Aldi and Trader Joe's issue to rest:
    http://www.hoovers.com/trader-joe's/--ID__47619--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml

    Started by Joe Coulombe as a Los Angeles convenience store chain in 1958, the company was bought in 1979 by German billionaires Karl and Theo Albrecht, who also own the ALDI food chain.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home