Adventures In Food and Wine

Join me in my kitchen while I embark on a journey of cooking and enjoying food and wine.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Dinner Tonight

After being sick for 2 days and eating bland food and drinking Sprite, I finally felt better today. As I was reading the morning paper a new recipe jumped out at me. Having all the ingredients on hand except for a lime I decided that dinner would be Ginger Lime Flank Steak. It was very easy to put together having only 7 ingredients and was ready in under 20 minutes. I served the flank steak with Parmesan Broccoli and Tossed Salad.

I found the steak to be very tender and flavorful, maybe just a bit heavy on the lime however. DH did not care too much for it saying the marinade over-powered the flavor of the meat. I think I may try this again only cut back on the lime zest.

The Parmesan Broccoli recipe came from the December Issue of Good Food, a publication of the UK. Sweetnicks turned me on to this great food magazine. The broccoli was very simple to prepare and delicious. It will be a repeater for sure.

One of my resolutions for the New Year is to utilize my cookbooks more and get back to menu planning. I have done menu planning in the past and I really don't know why I got out of the habit. I find that I spend less time and money at the grocery when I plan my meals by the week. Hmm, extra time and money, that sounds like something most of us could probably use! So anyway, my plan will be to cook from one cookbook per week, at least 4 dinners. That would leave 3 dinners for dining out or for using recipes from other sources (such as from my fellow food bloggers or from cooking magazines). I have the day off work tomorrow, so I am going to implement my plan! Wish me luck on sticking to this resolution. Of course, I will be documenting my progress here.

Be sure to check out some of the links to the food blogs I have here. There are some wonderful things to be found if you just look. Until next time.

Recipes

adapted from the Muncie Star Press, January 5, 2006


Parmesan Broccoli
adapted from Good Food December 2005, page 159

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds trimmed broccoli florets
1 Tablespoon butter
2 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping

Directions:
1. Drop the broccoli florets into a saucepan of boiling , salted water. Cover and bring back to the boil and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well.

2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and add the broccoli when the butter sizzles. Season as desired with salt and pepper (I did not use any) and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Toss well and remove from heat. Sprinkle more Parmesan just before serving.

3 Comments:

  • At 1/06/2006 11:35:00 AM, Blogger Cyndi said…

    I like the fact that the flank steak is done in a skillet. During the winter here we don't want to go grill in the snow, so I look for good meats that "grill" in skillets. This one looks good. Your site looks great, too, and I've added a link to it on mine!

     
  • At 1/06/2006 11:38:00 AM, Blogger Little Mama said…

    The steak looks great. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

     
  • At 1/07/2006 05:22:00 AM, Blogger Patti said…

    Cyndi, I did this in a non-stick skillet but next time I think I will use a grill pan.
    Punky, thanks for stopping by, I really enjoy your blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home